In our family we have been using organic, virgin coconut oil. It is solid at room temperature and melts at 76 degrees. Organic, virgin coconut oil is reported to be an aid to health as an anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent.
The recommended “dosage” for well people is 3 Tablespoons. For those dealing with health issues, 4-6 Tablespoons per day. However, this should be worked up to slowly to avoid any gastric distress.
The following recipe is my adaptation of one floating around the Internet. It is a DELICIOUS way to get in our organic, virgin coconut oil! You can easily DOUBLE this recipe for larger families or just more enjoyment!
COCONUT BARK – ALMOND JOY
Recipe By : Adapted by Vickilynn
Serving Size : 6
- 6 Tablespoons coconut oil, organic, virgin, expeller-pressed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (my family likes less – I use 1 Tablespoon for their version and 1 1/2 for mine)
- 1/2 teaspoon xylitol or stevia – more to taste (experiment with your own family preferences) –OR– 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (My kiddoes like it MUCH sweeter and I use maple syrup for them, about 3 Tablespoons per batch.)
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded or chopped coconut
- 1/4 cup ounces almonds, raw, chopped
Measure the coconut oil (solid) and melt. Whisk in vanilla, cocoa and sweetener until COMPLETELY dissolved. Failure to do this will result in separation and an oily top.
Whisk in remaining ingredients and again, make sure they are completely incorporated.
Pour mixture into pan and tip pan to evenly spread to even thickness. (I use an 8 x 8 cake pan lined with parchment or 9 x 13 pan for double batch.) Place pan in freezer on level shelf and let sit 10 minutes (longer for double batch) or so. It will harden quickly and you simply snap off the desired amount to eat. Keep cold.
Don’t let little ones run off with this in their hands, it melts quickly!
Measuring the Coconut Oil in a “Wonder Cup” is easiest.
I tip the pan to spread the mixture evenly:
Place the pan in the freezer (uncovered) and wait (impatiently, stamping foot) for about 10-15 minutes. The Coconut Bark will have solidified and you can break off pieces and pop them in your mouth! They melt with a “MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!”