Quinoa Okara Burgers
These are surprisingly tasty and work well eaten as a “burger” on a bun, or just grab one and eat it out of hand!
Yield: 12 burgers
- 1 cup organic quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup soy – barley okara
- 2 medium egg whites
- 2 Tablespoons Asiago, Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons prepared no-sugar horseradish
- 2 slices 100% whole wheat bread, whizzed in blender to crumbs (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon organic cornmeal, whole-grain
- 1 Tablespoon organic soy flour
- 3 Tablespoons vital gluten
- 3 Tablespoons dried chives
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix ingredients well. Cook in a lightly oiled skillet about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until browned and the inside is cooked completely.
Per burger: 101 Calories; 2g Fat (15.9% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 99mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.