OK, so I’m Jewish and I love Jewish deli food. It’s in my blood. Really! (Seriously, my triglycerides were screaming!)
One of my favorite deli sandwiches is a Reuben.
Mmmmm, dense toasted, buttered Jewish rye bread with caraway seed piled high with thinly-sliced corned beef (or pastrami), Swiss Cheese, sauerkraut and Russian Dressing. Oh, what memories! (My cholesterol is rising just thinking about it!) LOL!
However, to “healthy” this up and make it fit my diabetic low-carb diet, I made my version of a Reuben and call it a “Vickilynn!” LOLOLOL!! (What an ego I have!) Just kidding, it’s still a Reuben, but one that fits me. Maybe I should call it a “Bubbe” or a “Zoftig” (both of those names fit me!)
Seriously, here’s my yummy version of the Reuben or Vickilynn, or Bubbe or Zoftig:
- 1 Flax Wrap With Caraway Seed (recipe below)
- Organic Ranch dressing * (or homemade Russian dressing with no sugar)
- Baked chicken or turkey
- Stone-ground brown mustard
- Organic sauerkraut (I like Eden or homemade)
- Sliced organic Swiss cheese
1) Make the Flax Wrap using organic golden flax seed. If making a cold Reuben, remove the cooked wrap to a cooling rack and let cool to room temp. If making a warm, open-faced sandwich (my preference), flip Flax Wrap over in the pie plate, so the bottom becomes the top.
2) Cold Sandwich: On one half of the wrap, layer dressing of your choice, then meat, mustard, sauerkraut and top with cheese. Fold wrap over and enjoy!
3) Warm, open-faced sandwich: Spread dressing evenly over the wrap, then layer meat, mustard, sauerkraut and cheese. Micro on High for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted. OR place under the broiler until cheese is melted. ENJOY!
*If you like caraway (and I do), sprinkle a tad more over the sauerkraut before topping with cheese.
FLAX WRAP WITH CARAWAY SEED
Serving Size : 1
- 3 Tablespoons flax seed meal — golden, organic (or you can sub organic almond flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seed *more to taste
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons water
Mix dry ingredients. Stir in wet ingredients and mix well until smooth. Pour into a greased 8 or 9-inch pie plate and microwave on HIGH uncovered for 3 minutes (or until done). Flip wrap out onto a cooling rack and use as a wrap.
Per Serving (Flax Wrap only): 356 Calories; 24g Fat (62.7% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber; 212mg Cholesterol; 669mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
~~In Messiah Yeshua,