This review was performed on the new and improved WonderMill. The most significant changes are to the design and employing a larger motor, resulting in an extremely powerfull inpact mill which can be turned off during milling. Check out this video which shows the improved WonderMill doing exactly that.
The WonderMill Grain Mill
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Height: 11 inches
- Hopper capacity: 8 cups
- Canister capacity: 12 cups
The WonderMill is a home grain mill in the “impact” mill or micronizer category. It uses steel “teeth” or blades to mill grains or legumes into flour. Impact or micronizer mills can mill the flour from very fine to slightly coarse for different uses.
The WonderMill unit is an hourglass-shaped body with an outlet on the side. The milling canister plugs into this outlet via a curved tube. The mill is turned on and the dry grain or legumes are placed in the top of the mill (the hopper). The powerful motor impacts the grains to produce fine, even flour in a matter of minutes. The fineness settings are clearly marked from the finest grind (pastry) to the setting for larger grains and legumes (coarse). For every day usage, the middle setting (bread) produces a fine flour which results in an even crumb when baking bread. The flour from this setting is perfect for all sorts of recipes and we found this setting was the one most used.
Test Results and Comparisons
In this review we tested the updated and improved model of the WonderMill, it easily handled what we put it through with flying colors. In our tests with a variety of dry grains and legumes the WonderMill was:
- Consistent in performance and end result, even during extended long milling times
- Simple to use
- More quiet than any other impact mill we tested
- Milled grains faster than any other impact mill we tested
- Absolutely the cleanest impact mill we tested (very important for households which include asthmatics like ours)
In addition, the WonderMill boasts the position of being the only micronizing (impact) mill that is both U.L. approved for the United States and C.S.A approved for Canada and C.E approved for Europe and the United Kingdom. This covers all the bases!
A quick tour of the company’s web site offers customers many views of the WonderMill in action and even the full Owner’s Manual. I would recommend viewing two video presentations, they are chock full of helpful information. You can see the WonderMill, hear it and watch it as it works.
I encourage you to visit these sites: The WonderMill
Using Your WonderMill video: Video: The WonderMill Intro
Owner’s Manual: USA Manual: The WonderMill
WonderMill in the UK! http://www.wondermill.co.uk/
The main advantage of the WonderMill is its ease of use and ease of clean up. This cannot be over-stressed. The mill works quickly and works well, and it is so very simple to use and just as easy to clean up.
- The WonderMill now uses a larger, more powerful motor. A 1250 watt LG Electronics motor. The most powerful on the market.
- A plus of the WonderMill is the fact it is lightweight (weighs about 8 pounds) and it has a small footprint. The WonderMill is easy to store because of its unique hourglass shape. The canister (where the grain is poured into) detaches from the mill and can go directly into the refrigerator (with flour). Additional canisters are available for purchase. I have more than one, so I can mill with one and store in the other.
- The WonderMill performed superbly in all tests. It milled dry grains and legumes quickly and produced fine flour perfect for all uses. It also mills soybeans into soy flour and popcorn into cornmeal and even mills small grains such as quinoa.
- The impact or micronizer milling chamber is surgical quality stainless steel, self-cleaning, permanently lubricated and requires no maintenance.
- The WonderMill comes with a 12 cup plastic canister and two lids. One lid is for milling and includes the connecting tube, separator cup and foam filter. The additional lid is solid and turns the canister into a storage container.
- The WonderMill plastic separator cup and a foam filter are designed to trap the ultra-fine flour particles and keep them from being blown back into the air (and to protect the consumer from breathing them in).
- The WonderMill carries a manufacturer’s Lifetime Warranty on the milling heads and a 6 year warranty on the rest of the mill.
The WonderMill performed as advertised, milling grains and legumes into flour, very fast and very fine.
- Impact mills are loud. The WonderMill is the quietest mill I have tested in the impact mill (micronizer) category.
- There is usually a small amount of flour residue on the milling lid and in the side of the mill where the canister tube connects. The lid, separator cup and foam filter should be wiped or washed after each milling. The mill should be brushed or tapped out after each use. These are not cumbersome chores, but it should be noted that they must be done after each time the mill is used. This is to ensure that the flour residue does not remain, becoming rancid and mixing with new flour that is milled during the next milling session.
- Impact mills do not crack grains.
- Impact mills cannot mill oily seeds or nuts. Only dry grains and legumes should be milled. If grain is moist, clogging of the mill can occur.
- When milling larger dried beans, it is important that the dial be adjusted to the wider settings.
- Only cleaned grains and legumes should be milled in impact mills. If a stone or hard foreign object passes through, it can damage the milling heads. I make sure there are no rocks or stones in my grain before milling in the WonderMill.
- The WonderMill must be turned on and the canister connected before milling. Placing grain in the mill before turning it on can result in clogging.
Overall I found the WonderMill to be a very sturdy and safe home grain mill which performed as advertised. I was very happy with the flour it produced and how quickly the WonderMill milled flour. In my opinion, the WonderMill is an excellent mill and the brand that I highly recommend. The WonderMill Grain Mill is my mill of choice for my own use and one that I recommend above all the others we have tested.
Lifetime limited warranty on the milling heads, 6 year warranty on the mill. For details contact the distributor.
For more information, please visit The WonderMill Company website.
Grote Molen Inc.
Disclaimer: Vickilynn Haycraft is an independent Product Reviewer. She does not sell products or accept payment for reviews. She does not accept any advertising. The products reviewed are either purchased by Vickilynn Haycraft or provided for review. The product sample of the WonderMill was provided for testing and review.
© 2008-2014 Vickilynn Haycraft and Real Food Living. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this review may be copied, stored or transmitted in any medium, for any reason without prior written permission of the author.