Don’t like spicy? Leave out the jalapenos, garlic and chili powder. Don’t have fresh tomatoes? Leave them off! You can personalize this any way that suits YOUR tastes.
Yield: one 9 x 13 pan
- 2 pounds chopped broccoli, frozen
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 6 large egg whites
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups basic unflavored soymilk
- 1/2 cup okara or tofu
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 medium jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and diced (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons prepared no-sugar horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried chives
- 2 medium whole tomatoes, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place frozen broccoli (or fresh, blanched) into an ungreased 9 x 13 baking pan. In a skillet, warm the oil and add sliced onions and minced garlic. Saute lightly until onions are tender, but not cooked. Spread onions and garlic evenly over broccoli.
Place the remaining ingredients (except tomatoes) in a blender and whiz until smooth. Pour batter over broccoli and onions. Lay sliced tomatoes over top. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake 60 to 75 minutes, or until the center is set and pie is brown around the edges.
Per Serving: 84 Calories; 3g Fat (32.8% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 81mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.